Sunday, January 24, 2010

Golden Age Sunday: Riding Sidecar Part 3

Riding Sidecar
Part III



After ten minutes without a trace of the Wild Pack, The Victor parked the bike onto the top of a hill, leaned back, and just listened to the park sounds. His grin seemed unaffected from the lack of progress. It’s almost like he was enjoying the chase.

After a minute of listening to the park animals, I decided to speak up, “How can three animal people just disappear?”

The Victor glanced over at me with a toothy grin, “You really can’t stop asking questions can you?”

Before I could say anything, he continued with a laugh, “I don’t mind, the reason we can’t find them is that they know the land. This is their home. We could be here of weeks and never find them. So we had to let them find us. Isn’t that right, Dyer?”

Dyer? Turning to look in the tree that The Victor had addressed that last line to, I saw a four-foot birdlike woman covered in brown feathers and wearing a backpack. She had been standing on a branch listening to us, until The Victor pointed her out. Jumping out of the tree, she screeched a reply, “Nice trick, scaring away my birds to bring me out. But you wouldn’t bag this bird.”

Kicking starting the bike, we sped after her. After a second, I realized what she was talking about. The bike sounded a lot quieter than it had ten minutes ago. It must have a stealth mode. And The Victor hadn’t been looking for the Wild Pack, he had been making has much noise as he could.

Turning to ask why he couldn’t tell me his plan, he beat me to it; “I needed you to act natural so they won’t catch on.”

After pushing a couple of buttons on the dashboard, he jumped onto the seat and said, “Take the wheel, I’ll get Dyer.”

“Take the what??!” Trembling I reach for the handles only to notice that a set had appeared from the inside of the sidecar. Grabbing them I start to wonder what other tricks the motorcycle had. I would love to see them, if I live that long.

Trying to steer, I was barely about to stop us from slamming into a tree. From beside me, “Keep her steady. It’s just like riding a bike.”

Missing another tree, I shouted back, “Easy for you to say, why can’t you steer?”

“I needed to get the rope from my saddle. Surf’s up.”

“What?!!” Glancing over to see what he was doing, I was surprised to see that he was standing on the seat like a surfboard with a coil of rope across his chest. His grin had grown even bigger. That showed me to laugh at The Co-Champion. I just wished I know how to drive.

Almost getting the motorcycle under control and missing another tree, I hear The Victor shouting “Gotcha!!!”

Looking up I saw that he had lassoed Dyer and was trying to reel her in when he shouted, “Tree!!!”

Turning back to the front, I saw a massive tree in front of us. I couldn’t steer around it and was getting ready for the crash when I heard The Victor say, “Guess its time to test the ejector.”

“The what?” Just when I was getting used to one special feature I was going to learn of another. Something sounding like a high pressed hose kicked on and shot the sidecar and me deeper into the woods.

From inside my helmet I heard The Victor say, “Keep your eyes open for the monkey.”

“What”

“Dorkin, he’s a monkey.”

Now I wished he was giving me more information. How can I find a monkey in the middle of Central Park?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers